The Essence of A.A.

The Essence of A.A.

"Whenever, wherever, one alcoholic meets another alcoholic and sees in that person first and foremost not that he or she male or female, or black or white, or Christian, Buddhist, Jew, or Atheist, gay or straight, or whatever, but sees..that he or she is alcoholic and that therefore both of them need each other - there will be not only an Alcoholics Anonymous, but there will be the Alcoholics Anonymous that you and I love so much and respect so deeply.".......Ernie Kurtz in Not God: A History of Alcoholics Page 305

A.A.'s Greatest Danger

A.A.'s Greatest Danger.

"If you were to ask me what is the greatest danger facing A.A. today, I would have to answer: the growing rigidity -- the increasing demand for absolute answers to nit-picking questions; pressure for G.S.O. to 'enforce' our Traditions; screening alcoholics at closed meetings; prohibiting non-Conference-approved literature, i.e., 'banning books'; laying more and more rules on groups and members.".....Bob Pearson .....AA's Greatest Danger - Rigidity

Thursday, May 2

Ed finds AA

Hello.
My name is Ed
I am an alcoholic.
I've mentioned a few times in Chat, that when I desire a Meeting all I have to do is wander about a 100 feet or so to my neighbor's house. Where my (Don't tell him) Sponsor lives. How I came into AA and how I met him i think makes an interesting story. And an entirely true one.
***************
I tend to spend a fair amount of time on line. Don't share a lot. like to listen. You can't learn if your talking and not listening. Except when it comes to newcomers. I listen hard to them, someone held a hand out to me, the only thing I can to to repay that, is to hold mine out to someone who needs it. To do that I must listen before I can help. BTW, there is a great difference between listening & hearing.
****************
I have observed a few things that it seems like all newcomers have in common, at least online ones. Fear and embarrassment. The Web allows anonymity. It alleviates that fear and embarrassment. But, to make this thing work, a person to person thing must be done. A meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous.
****************
Atheist Ed finds AA.

Prologue;

A number of years back, I was drinking and, my wife and I got into a fight over something I did. Don't even remember what it was, just that it was stupid and I did it. To put "Fight" into perspective, after 49 years, I can count of 1 hand the number of "Fights" we've had. Disagreements? A great number. But, we're both pretty calm people, old hippie types and we've always managed discussion to get things resolved .I think we both realized at the same time, we were yelling at each other. She shutup, I shutup. She retreated, I retreated.

I went inside and thought about it. In a moment of clarity, I realized, I had done something stupid, I was wrong, and this sh*t's gotta stop. So, I  looked up AA on the web. Found a contact number and called it. A very nice lady answered. After some inquiries about whether I called the right place, I told her my problem, an asked if she could help. She said she would certainly like to try. After a little chit-chat over details, she asked if we could meet. It was then, we discovered we were separated by 50 miles of twisty, 2-lane blacktop. It was mutually agreed, that since I had been drinking, An hr driving, by myself, might be a little much to ask.

She said, she had an idea and could she call me back. I said certainly, gave her my number, said goodbye. And waited.
*******************
The Story Starts, Part 1;

Phone rang, guy on phone said he was Larry, he lived in my town and he was told I was looking for help. Was I? A little more small talk ensued. He asked if I could drive, as he thought this should be a person to person thing. I told him, yes. He started giving me directions to his house. From a known landmark, what streets to go on, where to turn, etc. Finally, "Turn left, I'm the 2Nd house on right." Described his house and asked if I needed the address, just in case. I said,"No Larry, I think I know exactly where you live, I've be over in just a few minutes" He said,"Great, I'll be on my porch looking for you."

Part 2;

After hanging up, I took the last shot of bourbon that was in my bottle (Liquid courage, ya know?). Took a deep breath and started out. Out the door. Hard right turn, walked across my lawn, across neighbors driveway, to the man standing on his porch. I said, "Is your name Larry?" He said, "Yes". I replied, "I'm Ed and I think I just got done talking to you". He said, "I think so. Welcome, glad to meet you." We sat down and after some discussion, he asked,"If I would be willing to go to a meeting".

Part 3;

Well, we went. 1st person I see, the butcher I'd been doing business with for years. He says, "Hi Ed". 2Nd person, fellow engineer I had worked with or for off & on for even more years. He says, "Hi Ed, 'bout time you showed. Was kinda wondering if ever".

Epilogue;

Meeting started. Didn't know what the hell I was doing so, I just observed a bit. Eventually things got around to me. I introduced myself, "I'm Ed, an alcoholic. This is all very new to me but I think I'm in the right place."

I was most warmly welcomed, given a Big Book and a 24 Hr. Chip.

The rest, as they say, was history.
***************
Lesson to the Newcomer. Don't be afraid or embarrassed. You be surprised at people you know, that will welcome you. Especially, embarrassment about stupid stuff. I can near guarantee there's not a bit of drunk stupid that hasn't been invented Loong before your time .






No comments: