Monday, August 2

Understanding Drinking Problems

Many people drink regularly without experiencing any harmful effects, other than perhaps a slight hangover on rare occasions. Yet millions of others suffer from alcoholism and alcohol abuse, making even an occasional drink dangerous.

How can some people drink responsibly, while others drink to the point of losing their health, their family, or their job? There are no simple answers. Drinking problems are due to many interconnected factors, including genetics, how you were raised, your social environment, and your emotional health. People who have a family history of alcoholism or who themselves suffer from a mental health problem such as anxiety, depression, or bipolar disorder are particularly at risk, because alcohol may be used to self-medicate.

Since drinking is so common in our culture and the effects vary so widely from person to person, it’s not always easy to figure out where the line is between social drinking and problem drinking. Taking an honest look at why you drink may help you figure out which side of the line you fall on. Remember, though, the bottom line is how alcohol affects you. If your drinking is causing problems in your life, you have a drinking problem.

From :  http://helpguide.org/mental/alcohol_abuse_alcoholism_signs_effects_treatment.htm

1 comment:

tj808 said...

Alcohol caused me problems from the very beginning. It just seemed normal, and at best humourous, back then. Even my parents laughed at some of my alcohol fuelled adventures. I remember my first ever hangover...I was really ill. It was cool back then. Something to talk about.

It wasn't until people got fed up with my behaviour with alcohol, that they started to sit up and take notice. I mean it wasn't all funny, far from it. It was then that people started saying they thought I had a problem
with alcohol. That was 20 years before I finally got round to doing something about it.

It really shocked me when I got to rehab; they told me I could never drink alcohol again for the rest of my life. So far, with staying close to others in abstinence, I have managed not to drink.

About

This is a site aimed at those with a substance abuse problem.
Be it alcohol or dope or both. Sober or not.

It is also a secular site. God, Jesus, or any H.P. is not required. Although people that do require such things are very much welcome.

It is also an adult oriented site, as such, adult language will be encountered.